Description and Background
USSOUTHCOM J45-Engineering Division requires a software application capable of providing real-time information of all engineering activities condensed in one location and represented in a large operational picture. The Engineering Common Operating Picture (eCOP) serves as a planning, management and historic engineering activity tool enabling leadership to easily prioritize, apply lessons learned and plan a future operational picture based on the information captured. The information supports analysis via queries, reports and, with importing and exporting capabilities, from and to other tools such as MS Excel, MS Power Point, Google Earth and OHASIS, among others.
eCOP is a Web-based Geographic Information System (GIS) and Data Historian Application being developed by the USACE - Army Geospatial Center (AGC) for the USSOUTHCOM J45-Engineering Division. ECOP has the ability to collect site and disaster assessment information to a central repository, connected or occasionally-connected from the network. It also leverages geospatial visualization and analysis capabilities provided by standard GIS Enterprise Technology.
The eCOP system provides J45-Engineering Division, Components-Engineers, JTF-Engineers, J-Codes and Interagency the functionality to centrally manage all of the engineering activities in the AOR:
- Data warehousing for all construction projects, engineering assessments, environmental security, HR/DR responses, etc
- Dashboard for visualization, geodata management, geospatial analysis and reporting of engineering missions, projects and engagements
- Mobile application for collecting Engineering Site Surveys and Disaster Assessments data using GPS-enabled smart phones and PDAs (i.e. Blackberries)
- Leverages geographical information provided by:
- The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
- United States Geological Survey
- Natural Hazard Support System
- The Pacific Disaster Center
- Overseas Humanitarian Assistance Shared Information System (OHASIS)
- USACE and NAVFAC
eCOP allows the SOUTHCOM Joint Engineering community to better define relationships among activities, allows program managers to be informed about other engineering activates in progress in their areas, minimize redundancy of efforts and maximize the use of current recourses by ensuring proper channeling and by making our operations more efficient. eCOP enables USSOUTHCOM engineers to coordinate and support all types of military interactions with other nations' military and governments; this support includes engineer counterpart engagement and Subject Matter Expert exchanges. These engagements are tracked directly in the operational picture.
Point of Contact: U.S. Army Geospatial Center (ATTN: CEAGC-GSA), 7701 Telegraph Road Alexandria, VA 22315. Phone (703) 428-6090.